PhD in Chemical and Biological Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.7/4.0
Honors/Achievements: Engineering Deans List
Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering
Minor: Biochemical Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.3/4.0
Honors/Achievements: Engineering Deans List, Gordon Engineering Leadership Scholar, Excellence Scholarship
▪ Synthetic Biology: Genetic manipulation to create inducible surface displayed enzyme system in lactobacilli. Quantified levels of expression using calorimetric assay.
▪ Mentor: Led lectures as a teaching assistant for senior level course. Advising an undergraduate student, now attending graduate education, in molecular biology techniques.
▪ Bioengineering: Transformed plasmid DNA into host organism to induce targeted protein production from the inserted gene.
▪ Crystallography: Worked to identify and solve the structure for specific proteins involved in gene silencing complexes. Collected the proteins and analyzed using x-ray diffraction to confirm identity and used computer software to model molecular structure.
▪ Formulation Development: Prepared tablet blends and ran rotary tablet press to test project formulations. Tablet attributes would then be analyzed and entered into statistical model to define design space.
▪ Crystallization Scale-up: Executed crystallizations on organic drug molecules to target specific particle size based on statistical model (1-10L scale). Generated solubility data for a controlled substance in water:alcohol solvent systems to determine possible formulation improvements to drug degradation.
▪ Statistical Analysis of Reactor Design: Researched and experimented with possible unseen factors for crystallization scale-up. Uncoupled variables to determine which factors were significant.
▪ Compaction/Material Properties: Created Heckle analysis plots of drug compound and common excipients as an understanding of the materials compressibility characteristics.
Bober, J. R., Beisel, C. L. & Nair, N. U. Synthetic Biology Approaches to Engineer Probiotics and Members of the Human Microbiota for Biomedical Applications. Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 20, annurev-bioeng-062117-121019 (2018).
Waller, M. C., Bober, J. R., Nair, N. U. & Beisel, C. L. Toward a genetic tool development pipeline for host associated bacteria. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 38, 156–164 (2017).
Opportunites to engineer host-associated microbiota.